16 Runners
24 Chasers
shambhawip

Unapologetic Reader, Psychotic Writer

Possibly psychotic and unapologetically sarcastic. I read everything.

The Lies of Locke Lamora
Scott Lynch
Progress: 20 %
Dante Valentine: The Complete Series
Lilith Saintcrow
Progress: 20 %

Why I've not completely shifted to BookLikes... Yet.

Alternative Title: I am Technologically Impaired or Lazy or Both

I've never thought of myself as someone who had no technological skills. In fact I was the kid in school who taught other kids how to unravel the subtle nuances of technology. The common term would have been a geek. Or a nerd. I probably underestimated the effect shifting from a Computing major in my A Levels to Law School for my undergrad would have in my understanding of how a computer works.

In that way BookLikes has been an eyeopener for me.

I have accomplished nothing in the one month since I created a BookLikes account.

It may have been because I have been too lazy to do anything about it too.

I look at my BookLikes shelf, I see the unmanaged list of thousands of books I imported from GoodReads. I think I should probably shelve it properly, make a few of my reviews readable and post smart and witty posts and wittier reviews on my blog here.

I go to my Shelf page then.

And I am taken aback by the shitpile and non-formatting and complete lack of any sort of system there.

There is the pile of work all cut down for you, see? I think to myself.

I try to see where I can start my work.

I make a list of what I should do.

--> Manage exclusive shelves

--> Format a few of my best reviews

--> Make my blog look like that of an intelligent person and not a dumping site of crap

--> Add my GoodReads friends to my lists

--> Update my Currently Reading books (they're still stuck on September)

--> Add newer reviews

--> Read my friends' posts

--> Talk and mingle for the love of fuck - isn't that the point of joining this website in the first place? Also, bitch about GR.

At some point between starting to create the mental list and completing it I am completely overwhelmed by the enormity of what lies ahead of me.

Where should I start?

I stare at my Shelf page for hours and decide that the task of proper shelving can wait till tomorrow. I mean I have added tons of books on GR since I made a BL account and they should also be added to my new, improved and sensible shelf, right? Exactly.

I move on to my information page. I try to think of witty things to say about myself, a catchy name for my blog, an engaging description, anything - ANYTHING that would make me feel like a nice, smart and funny person. It only makes me feel weird about myself for trying too hard. Like this post is also starting to make me feel. I give up there too.

I move next to my dashboard and feel sad at the pitiful number of people I've added even when I know a lot of my friends have an account here. I read their posts and then feel sad about the pitiful state of my own blog. Then I feel sad about the fact that I have been forced to pity myself.

I don't want to feel sad anymore.

So I close the BookLikes. I pick up my Kobo. See that it is filled with books and and shelves in it are organized and I have so many books to read and I read them and post about it on GR and a tiny part of me is mad at myself for being a traitor and feeding the site that has betrayed its faithful reviewers while rest of me tries to silence it by saying ssshhh... Samba, just shut up and read. So I do. But that tiny part is still nagging my subconscious.

Then I feel sad about the fact that I cannot even be honest to myself. And so reopen BookLikes only to be overwhelmed again. I close it. Again.

This spiral of anger at GR, pity at myself, and confusion at BL had gone on and on plaguing me for an entire month.

Until yesterday, now that even Kobo betrayed my faith in it.

So I gathered all the willpower I have and marched into BookLikes with the intention of making it my bitch and decided the first course of action is to manage my wayward shelf. I opened my shelf in BL and tried to see what exactly did I have to do. There was a lot. And I had no idea where to start.

I spied that pretty 'Need help?' button at the side of my screen and pressed it and sent all my woes to the person on the other side waiting to help me. And I waited.

It felt useless.

So wrote a review. On BookLikes. MY FIRST REVIEW THAT I POSTED ON BOOKLIKES AND NOT PULLED IN FROM GOODREADS. I felt like the greatest BookLiking mofo there ever was.

And I waited again. But this time it didn't feel too useless.

The beautiful Kate replied me a few hours later and I started today on the job to create exclusive shelves and managing my books.

I created the shleves.

I started moving them.

I felt invincible.

I was doing something amazing on BookLikes. And succeeding.

Finally.

Until, that is, I accidentally deleted 75 of my books.

Now I will probably have to import my collection from GoodReads again to add those 75 books back - because I have no idea which ones they are - along with many others I added after my first import.

And I have to start with reshelving, then editing reviews and making it look like a blog for an intelligent person AGAIN before being a permanent annoyance on this website.

Which means more work.

The self-pity is worse today because I do not for the love of everything that can be loved see myself staying in GoodReads any longer than necessary now that most of my friends have fled, most of my favorite reviewers have fled and freedom of opinion of the readers has been cruelly banished. My not wanting to stay gets worse each day.

But I have to until I make this work. And work properly.

So I am back to my spiral of unproductivity and pitying myself for the said unproductivity and getting nothing done because I am too busy pitying myself.

I am lazy.

And also technologically impaired when it comes to anything BookLikes related.

And again too lazy to work on changing that.

But I will do it, slowly. One thing at a time. A few random posts, a few book reviews, one entry at a time. Even if it takes a motherfucking long time for me to accomplish.

Someday in the future I will have a flourishing community in BookLikes with a shelf overflowing with my book connection, dashboard filled with posts from my amazing friends in the book community and my own blog filled with nuggets of my currently missing intellect. Someday in the future I will be able to look back at GoodReads and smile politely and say "Screw you GoodReads but you brought this on yourself." when it is struggling with its emptiness and void. Someday in the future it will be true.

But this also means that Someday is not going to be today.

And so I've not completely shifted to BookLikes yet. But I'm also not gonna be a stranger anymore.

PS Tips to make this work out faster are greatly appreciated. I'm just too overwhelmed...